Notre Dame announced their 2014 recruiting class today, welcoming 23 new student-athletes to the Irish roster. Coach Brian Kelly and company put together a top-10 class, with depth in the trenches being key.
In this year’s class, Notre Dame landed an impressive group of defensive commitments. The Irish restocked the trenches with an exciting group of front seven recruits including one of the nation’s elite inside linebackers and a couple of big-time defensive linemen from New York. The Irish also added an elite cornerback out of the Lone Star state and a versatile safety from Huntertown here in Indiana.
Coach Kelly and company continued their recruiting success on the offensive side of the ball, signing four offensive linemen, giving the Irish one of the nation’s best offensive line hauls for the second year in a row headlined by a 5-star offensive tackle. Coach Kelly was also able to snag two wide receivers and two tight ends at the offensive skill positions, giving the Irish an excellent combination of size and speed. To round off the offense, for the second year in a row, Notre Dame added a dual threat quarterback out of Ohio, tailor-made for Brian Kelly’s offense.
Here’s Kelly’s initial reaction to the group.
“I really like the fact that this has come together and the fact that it really represents for us going into our fifth year the one thing that I believe that you’re looking for, and that is depth across the board,” Kelly said. “I think some of the things that stand out, 18 of these recruits that are in this class were in the top 15 in their position group, and so that’s what we were trying to achieve in this class.”
Let’s take a look at the group as a whole:
- Five-star OT Alex Bars (Nashville, Tenn./Montgomery Bell)
- Four-star WR Corey Holmes (Fort Lauderdale, Fla./Saint Thomas Aquinas)
- Four-star DE Andrew Trumbetti (Demarest, N.J./Northern Valley Region)
- Four-star TE Tyler Luatua (La Mirada, Calif./La Mirada)
- Four-star CB Nick Watkins (Dallas/Bishop Dunne)
- Four-star OG Quenton Nelson (Red Bank, N.J./Red Bank Catholic)
- Four-star ILB Greer Martini (Woodberry Forest, Va./Woodberry Forest)
- Four-star TE Nic Weishar (Chicago/Marist)
- Four-star WR Justin Brent (Speedway, Ind./Speedway)
- Four-star OG Sam Mustipher (Olney, Md./Our Lady of Good Counsel)
- Four-star DT Jay Hayes (Brooklyn, N.Y./Poly Prep)
- Four-star QB-DT DeShone Kizer (Toledo, Ohio/Central Catholic)
- Four-star OLB Nile Sykes (Lombard, Ill./Montini Catholic)
- Four-star DT Daniel Cage (Cincinnati/Winton Woods)
- Four-star DE Jonathan Bonner (Chesterfield, Mo./Parkway Central)
- Four-star DE Grant Blankenship (The Colony, Texas/The Colony)
- Three-star OT Jimmy Byrne (Cleveland/Saint Ignatius)
- Three-star OLB Drue Tranquill (Fort Wayne, Ind./Carroll)
- Four-star DT Peter Mokwuah (Staten Island, St. Joseph By the Sea)
- Three-star K Tyler Newsome (Carrollton, Ga./Carrollton)
- Three-star DE Kolin Hill (Schertz, Texas/Samuel Clemens)
- Three-star DE Jhonathon Williams (Berrien Springs, Mich./Berrien Springs)
- Four-star ILB Nyles Morgan (Crete, Ill./Crete Monee)