Please join Italian Studies at Notre Dame for an afternoon of recitations of excerpts from Dante's Commedia performed around campus, followed by a lecture by Theodore Cachey (Notre Dame), Christian Moevs (Notre Dame) and Anne Leone (Notre Dame), and a reception.
Dante Now! A Celebration of Dante and the Divine Comedy in Performance
You are invited to join in or to watch the performances.
Friday, September 29
2:00 -3:00 p.m. - Simultaneous public readings from Hell (locations listed below*)
3:00 p.m. - Choral reading of Saint Bernard in Paradise praying to the Virgin (the Grotto)
3:30 p.m. - “What’s Wrong With This Picture? How to Read Dante’s Hell,” an illustrated public talk by Theodore Cachey, Christian Moevs, Anne Leone (Notre Dame), (Carey Auditorium, Hesburgh Libray)
4:45 p.m. - Reception (Carey Auditorium, Hesburgh Library)
Co-sponsored by the William and Katherine Devers Program in Dante Studies, Italian Studies at Notre Dame, and the Ravarino Family Endowment for Excellence in Italian Studies.
If you are interested in performing, please contact Anne Leone at firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP for one of the reader workshops taking place on Wednesday, September 27 from 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
*Locations of simultaeous performances (2:00 - 3:00 p.m.) on Friday, September 29:
• Beneath “Touchdown Jesus,” by the Father Hesburgh and Father Ned Joyce Sculpture
• Clarke Memorial Fountain (“Stonehenge”)
• Stairs of the Main Building
• The Rock
• Stairs of Bond Hall, School of Architecture
• Sesquicentennial Common (between the Law School, the Fitzpatrick Hall of Engineering, and DeBartolo Hall)
• At the Knute Rockne statue, North Tunnel of the Stadium
• Shaheen Mestrovic Memorial (west side of O’Shaughnessy Hall)
• Hammes Bookstore, by the Mary and Elizabeth sculpture (“The Visitation”)
Co-sponsored by the William and Katherine Devers Series in Dante Studies and Italian Studies at Notre Dame.
Interested in performing?
Contact Anne Leone at email@example.com for more information and to RSVP for one of the reader workshops in the Hospitality Room, South Dining Hall on Wednesday, September 27, 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.