Added parking lots and shuttle service for fans attending Fighting Irish games on Friday night.
NOTRE DAME, Ind. — With no fewer than six athletics events scheduled for the University of Notre Dame campus on Friday evening, the University’s departments of athletics and parking services have designed a comprehensive parking plan to handle the increased number of fans attending these various contests.
Following the Notre Dame football luncheon (noon ET in the Joyce Center Fieldhouse/north dome), the Fighting Irish women’s swimming and diving team will be the first team in action, playing host to Illinois at 5 p.m. (ET) at the Rolfs Aquatic Center. The traditional football pep rally will begin at 5:45 p.m. (ET) inside the Compton Family Ice Arena. The third-ranked Notre Dame women’s basketball team will open its 2014-15 season at 6 p.m. (ET), welcoming UMass Lowell to Purcell Pavilion. One hour later at 7 p.m. (ET), the No. 12/11 Notre Dame women’s soccer team kicks off NCAA Championship play with a first-round match against Valparaiso at Alumni Stadium. The Fighting Irish women’s fencing team takes on Northwestern in an exhibition match at 7:30 p.m. (ET) inside the Joyce Center Fieldhouse before the Notre Dame men’s basketball team wraps up the evening’s activities, facing Binghamton at 9 p.m. (ET) in the Hall of Fame Tipoff Tournament at Purcell Pavilion.
In light of this busy schedule, Notre Dame advises fans of the following guidelines related to athletics event parking near the south edge of the University campus:
- The only vehicles allowed in Purcell Pavilion’s North Lot (which is actually south of and closest to the basketball arena) at any time during the day will be those showing tickets to the football luncheon or a ticket to either the men’s or women’s basketball games later that evening.
- Fans attending the football luncheon are asked to remove their vehicles from the Purcell Pavilion North Lot by 2:30 p.m. (ET) Friday or their cars will be ticketed and are subject to being towed.
- Fans attending other Notre Dame athletics events on Friday evening (women’s swimming and diving, football pep rally, women’s soccer and women’s fencing) will be directed to other nearby available parking lots: Innovation Park (Angela Road, south of Compton Family Ice Arena), Library (corner of Leahy Drive and Bulla Road), Wellness Center (corner of Bulla Road and Wilson Drive) and Bulla (Bulla Road west of intersection with North Twyckenham Drive).
- Once the Purcell Pavilion North Lot is full, fans attending the men’s or women’s basketball games will be directed to other nearby available parking lots.
- Members of the Notre Dame Parking Services staff will be on hand in all available parking lots. They also will be stationed throughout the parking areas to guide fans to available parking spaces.
- Off-campus paid parking is available in the Eddy Street garage, located within Eddy Street Commons across Angela Road from the Notre Dame campus (an estimated 10-minute walk to Notre Dame’s athletics facilities) — the first two hours in the garage are free, followed by incremental charges per vehicle (2-3 hours – $2; 3-4 hours – $4; 4-5 hours – $6; 5-8 hours – $8; 8-24 hours – $10).
- Shuttle buses will begin running from all parking lots at 3:30 p.m. (ET) Friday and will run continuously until 12:30 a.m. (ET) Saturday (following the men’s basketball game).
- The shuttles will originate in the Bulla Lot, turn west on Bulla Road, then south on Leahy Drive before proceeding to the Innovation Park Lot. The shuttles then will turn around in the Innovation Park Lot and drive North along the same route back to the Bulla Lot.
- The shuttles will stop at the following locations along their routes:
—Corner of Bulla Road and Leahy Drive (for Wellness & Library Lot)
—Corner of Leahy Drive and Moose Krause Circle (near Gate 4 of Purcell Pavilion)
—Corner of Leahy Drive and Moose Krause Circle (near Gate 8 of Purcell Pavilion)
—East side of Compton Family Ice Arena (southbound shuttle stop only)
—Innovation Park Lot
- Irish Ambassadors will ride on each of the four shuttle buses to answer questions about games, times, routes, pick-up locations and more. Free hot chocolate will be offered for all shuttle bus riders.
- Irish Ambassadors will be stationed outdoors at five of the shuttle bus stops (Bulla Lot, corner of Bulla Road and Leahy Drive, Gates 4 and 8 at Purcell Pavilion, and Innovation Park Lot) from 3:30-9:30 p.m. (ET) to assist in directing fans to their specific Notre Dame athletics event.
- Irish Ambassadors will be on hand from 4:30-9 p.m. (ET) at Gates 8 and 9 of Purcell Pavilion, as well as inside Heritage Hall at the Joyce Center (upper concourse between the north and south domes) to answer questions and offer guidance on shuttle pick-up locations before and after the men’s and women’s basketball games. University ushers also will be available until midnight (ET) to assist fans following the men’s basketball game.
In addition, signage will be posted in all parking lots, shuttle stops and other adjacent thoroughfares, directing fans to available parking facilities. Fans also will receive postcards with information on shuttle routes, pick-up locations and a map of available parking lots.
“We understand and sympathize with the challenges our fans will face on Friday, due to the increased number of events,” said Jack Swarbrick , University vice president and director of athletics. “We believe this parking plan is an important step in enhancing the Notre Dame fan experience during this time of tremendous campus growth. All of us in the Fighting Irish athletics department appreciate our fans’ patience and support, and we hope you enjoy your visit to Notre Dame.”
For more information on parking for upcoming Notre Dame athletics events, including an easy-reference map, go online to UND.com/parking , while general information on Football Gameday activities also can be found online at gameday.nd.edu. Fans wishing to purchase tickets for a future Fighting Irish game may contact the Murnane Family Athletics Ticket Office by phone (574) 631-7356 or by going online to "UND.com/tickets:http://www.und.com/tickets/nd-tickets.html . Fans also can receive updated Notre Dame athletics parking and ticketing information through the Fighting Irish athletics ticket office Twitter page (@NDTIX) .