Game Day Tailgates
Below are some important elements to know about tailgating before you pack up the car for Game Day! When planning your trip to campus whether you will enjoy a tour of campus, listening to the band play or catching an academic event, even possibly grabbing a steak sandwich from the Knights of Columbus, other Notre Dame fans enjoy a different tradition on Game Day – TAILGATING!
All campus lots open at 7 a.m. for all home game weekends.
Please note tailgating is NOT allowed after kickoff in any of the campus lots.
Please note alcohol and tailgating are NOT permitted on the central part of campus.
Where to Go
- Plan ahead and check out the different parking areas available around campus.
- Be sure to follow the signage to your destination lot.
- Parking attendants are plentiful on Game Day and are there to help.
- If you are traveling with multiple cars, make sure everyone arrives at the same time. Holding spots for others is NOT allowed.
- For reserved lots, be sure each car has a parking pass, as one pass permits one vehicle, and the pass must be displayed at ALL times.
What to Wear
- With many tailgates beginning early in the day and continue until game time, it’s important to dress appropriately for the weather.
- Game Day in South Bend, guests may experience a variety of climates and are encouraged to bring sunscreen, ponchos, and layers while on campus.
- Be sure to check Notre Dame Stadium's Bag Policy before coming to campus!
- Head to any of the Notre Dame Bookstore Operations for all your Irish apparel needs!
Selling of items is NOT permitted in parking lots or on campus.
When planning for your tailgate, please note the following are NOT permitted:
- Amplified Sound – Speakers that stand alone, are excessively loud, or are connected to an amplifier
- Box trucks, motorcycles, over-sized vans
- Charcoal grills
- Deep fryers
- Open flames (i.e. fire pits)
- Propane cylinders larger than 20 lbs
Safety and security rules will be strictly enforced and violators may be removed for failing to comply. Future ticket privileges may be revoked.
When planning for your tailgate, please note the following are permitted:
- Propane grills are permitted, but gas cylinders must be under 20 lbs.
Sustainability Game Day Information
Want to GREEN your tailgate?
How does it work?
At each home game, dozens of students circulate through the tailgating lots, distributing blue recycling bags and answering questions about single stream recycling.
For the 2016 season parking lot staff will be handing out both recycling and trash bags to each car upon entering the Joyce and Stadium lots and other tailgating areas to increase participation and assist tailgaters with the upkeep of their areas.
What can I recycle?
Everything, excluding food, liquids, and styrofoam can go into the recycling bag. Minimal food residue is permitted (think ketchup on a plate,) but please no half eaten burgers or wet paper towels!
Where can I get recycling bags?
Extra bags can be found in the blue refurbished newspaper vending boxes that act as recycling bag dispensers at every light pole throughout the Joyce, Legends, and Library parking lots.
What kind of impact does this have?
Since its start in 2008, the Game Day Recycling Program has diverted over 837 tons of materials from the landfill- the equivalent of 21 full semi-trucks. We're on track this year to collect over 100 more tons of recycling. Thank you for your participation in our Green Tailgates!
At the end of the day, you’re here for one simple reason – to enjoy Game Day! You take care of packing the car, grilling the burgers, and enjoying your time at Notre Dame; while our Guest Service team, parking staff, police officers, and University staff take care of the rest!
In Case of Emergency
If you see something, say something!
- If something raises your concern, for any reason, please call or text to let us know. Our staff will look into the situation.
- In the event of an emergency, notify University personnel or uniformed law enforcement officer as soon as possible.
- While on campus gusts and fans are encourage to call (574) 631-5555 for the most efficient response time.
- Directly connects to Notre Dame Dispatch Center for safety and security, fire, or medical emergencies.
- Fan Assistance Texting: Test IRISH <space> and the issue to 69050.
Contact the Game Day team at 1-877-ND1-FANS or firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist you with your Game Day preparation.