Game Day Tailgates
Below are some important elements to know about tailgating before you pack up the car for Game Day! When planning your trip to campus to possibly enjoy a tour of campus, listen to the band, attend an academic event, purchase a steak sandwich from the Knights of Columbus, we have some Notre Dame fans that enjoy a different tradition on Game Day – TAILGATING!
All campus lots open at 7 a.m. for all home game weekends.
Please note tailgating is NOT allowed after kickoff in any of the campus lots.
Please note alcohol and tailgating are NOT permitted in the central part of campus.
- If you are traveling with multiple cars, make sure everyone arrives at the same time.
- Holding spots for others is NOT permitted.
- For reserved lots, be sure each car has a parking pass, as one pass permits one vehicle, and the pass must be displayed at ALL times.
- Game Day in South Bend, guests may experience a variety of climates and are encouraged to bring sunscreen, ponchos, and layers while on campus.
- Be sure to check our parking info prior to joining us on campus.
When planning for your tailgate, please note the following are NOT permitted:
- Amplified Sound – Speakers that stand alone, are excessively loud or are connected to an amplifier
- Box trucks, motorcycles, over-sized vans
- Charcoal grills
- Deep fryers
- Open flames (i.e. fire pits)
- Propane cylinders larger than 20 lbs
Safety and security rules will be strictly enforced and violators may be removed for failing to comply. Future ticket privileges may be revoked.
When planning for your tailgate, please note the following are permitted:
- Propane grills are permitted, but cylinders must be under 20 lbs.
Sustainability Game Day Information
Want to GREEN your tailgate?
Be a part of Notre Dame’s efforts to go green by greening your tailgate! Below is an overview of Notre Dame’s Game Day recycling.
How does it work?
At each home game, teams of volunteer students circulate through the Stadium, Joyce, Library, Bulla, and Bookstore tailgate lots, distributing blue recycle bags to guests and answer questions about single stream recycling.
In an effort to promote recycling and keep the most congested parking lots clean, parking lot attendants will distribute to each incoming car 2 blue bags for recycling and 1 clear bag for trash. Large recycling and trash containers will be placed throughout the Stadium and Joyce (North) lots for guests’ use. Guests may leave their tied-up recycle and clear trash bags at their vehicles for pick-up before kickoff or take them to one of the recycle/trash containers located in the parking lots.
What can I recycle?
Bottles – glass & plastic
Plastics #1 - #6
Clean cardboard and clean paper (no wax coating, please)
Please place all other waste materials including food and liquids in the clear bag provided.
Where can I get recycling bags?
Additional blue recycle bags can be found in the blue refurbished newspaper vending boxes located at light poles throughout the Stadium, Joyce, and Library parking lots.
What kind of impact does this have?
Since its start in 2007, the Game Day Recycling Program has diverted more than 941 tons of waste material from area landfills – that’s almost 24 semi-trucks full! We’re on track to collect more than100 tons of recycling again this year. Thank you for being a part of our Irish going green movement.
For additional information, visit their website at green.nd.edu. #GoIrish #BeGreen
In Case of Emergency
If you see something, say something!
- If something raises your concern, for any reason, please call or text to let us know. Our staff will look into the situation.
- In the event of an emergency, notify University personnel or uniformed law enforcement officer as soon as possible.
- While on campus guests are encouraged to call (574) 631-5555 for the most efficient response time.
- Directly connects to Notre Dame Dispatch Center for safety and security, fire, or medical emergencies.
- Guest Assistance Texting: Text IRISH <space> and the issue to 69050.
Contact the Game Day team at 1-877-ND1-FANS or email@example.com and we will be happy to assist you with your Game Day preparation.
At the end of the day, you’re here for one simple reason – to enjoy Game Day! You take care of packing the car, grilling the burgers, and enjoying your time at Notre Dame; while our Guest Service team, parking staff, police officers, and University staff take care of the rest!